One thing we can say about the Federal Communications Commission or FCC Wireless Spectrum Auction auction and its decision to phase out the 600MHz band for wireless audio is that it has resulted in some cool rebate programs. The latest is Audio-Technica, which has announced a trade-in rebate program to help wireless users in switching to a system that accommodates the new guidelines, on their terms, through March 31, 2019.
Earlier this month Sennheiser announced a rebate program of its own.
In a press release, Audio-Technica points out that the transition period in which 600MHz wireless audio users need to migrate away from 600MHz will affect people differently depending on their geographic location:
Some may need to switch to new systems right away or fairly soon, while others will be able to operate longer. A few may even be able to hold out until the FCC mandated deadline of July 13, 2020.
The audio manufacturer‘s longer trade-in rebate program allows additional flexibility and options for this important switch-over. Due to the complexity of the reallocation and the number of parties involved, there is no way to accurately predict just how – or when – individual users will be affected by these changes.
But there’s no need to panic. Unless your system is part of a mission critical application, Audio-Technica recommends following a use-it-til-you-lose-it path: Begin budgeting for a new system, get as much use as you can out of your current 600 MHz system (up to the FCC deadline), then make the switch once you encounter problems. This also may allow you to take advantage of any new wireless systems brought to market before you make your switch to a new wireless system.
Trade in on Your Terms
Audio-Technica is calling its trade-in rebate program “Trade In On Your Terms.” When users trade in a 600 MHz wireless system from any manufacturer, they’ll receive a rebate on an eligible Audio-Technica wireless system, according to the press release.
From the press release:
To give you the flexibility to budget and switch to a new system, A-T is running this trade-in program from August 15, 2017, through March 31, 2019 (significantly longer than current rebates from other manufacturers).
Audio-Technica runs down how to trade in a 600 MHz system:
1.) Verify that your trade-in system operates in the 600 MHz band. Your receiver and/or transmitter should include a sticker with the frequency range. If any part of the listed frequency range falls within the 614 – 698 MHz range, your system will eventually be prohibited from operating and is eligible for trade-in.
2.) Purchase an eligible Audio-Technica wireless system from an authorized Audio-Technica dealer in the U.S. and its territories between 8/15/2017 and 3/31/2019. See below for eligible models.
3.) Register ONLINE at http://audio-technica.rebateaccess.com. Offer Promotion #78844
4.) Once registered, you will need to follow the instructions provided and mail the following documents and equipment:
- Printed trade-in rebate form.
- A copy of the sales receipt for your new A-T system with store name, date of purchase, model number and price paid clearly legible.
- The original (not a copy) UPC bar code cut from the product box of each new A-T system purchased. Not from the shipping carton.
- Your old 600 MHz wireless system (receiver and transmitter). Note: To receive the full trade-in rebate on a dual-channel system you must send in two channels (i.e., two single-channel receivers or one dual-channel receiver, plus two transmitters) from a 600 MHz system.
Eligible Models for Audio-Technica Trade-in Rebate Program:
- 2000 Series (single channel): $50 trade-in rebate
- 3000 Series (single channel): $75 trade-in rebate
- 4000 Series (single channel): $150 trade-in rebate
- 5000 Series (dual channel): $450 trade-in rebate
- System 10 Stack-Mount (single channel): $50 trade-in rebate
- System 10 Stompbox (single channel): $50 trade-in rebate
- System 10 Camera-Mount (single channel): $75 trade-in rebate
- System 10 PRO Rack-Mount (single channel): $75 trade-in rebate
- System 10 PRO Rack-Mount (dual channel): $150 trade-in rebate
- M2 (single channel): $90 trade-in rebate
- M3 (single channel): $120 trade-in rebate
Find complete terms and conditions here.